Sounds and Whispers

This is by far, one of the creepiest stories I have heard. This is not my personal experience, however I was present during one of the "events". 

This events took place in New York, New York. One of my closest friends moved from a small studio appartment in Lennox Hill, to a two bedroom apartment a few blocks from Grand Central. She lived there for a total of 4 years, being the last year the most creepy. 

She moved to this apartment with her new husband and they had the idea of adding a baby to the combo soon. She told me that the first time they went to visit this apartment, she had a strange feeling about it. That very night, she had a nightmare where she saw herself in this apartment, standing in the middle of the hall, she describes it like this: 


"I was standing in the middle of the hall, my face looked kind of deformed, it just looked odd, but I knew it was me. I saw myself crying in fear, there was nothing there, though I knew there was someone else in the apartment, I just could not see them. My body felt ill, the way it feels when you get a bad flu. Every bone in my body ached. I had the feeling as if something was taken from me, something was missing, I kept crying, it was a mixture between sadness and fear, I then woke up from this nightmare. I noticed I was actually crying and sweating profusely. My husband was lying next to me sleeping peacefully."

I remember listening to this dream, the very next day. She was concerned, but at the same time, she didn´t want to say anything to her husband, she tought it was ridiculous, it was just a dream. She decided to move on, and they decided on taking the apartment. After all, it was just a rental. 

They moved and things were going fine for both. A year had gone by since they moved and there was no major activity. My friend says she sometimes heard noises through the walls, but it could be anything, pipes, neighbors, you name it. After all, it was an old building an this sounds were normal. 

That summer, she got pregnant, they were both thrilled with the news and everything was falling in the right place, at least the place they wanted. They both had a good job, they had this great apartment right in the desired location at the right price, but most important, they were so commited to each other. The baby was expected to arrive on March and they started puting the nursery together since day one. 

She recalls that some days there were strange sounds in the apartment, knocking sounds, footsteps, cold spots. It was never a concern for her, she figured it was maybe the neigbors, or the pipes or the fact that this was on old building. We talked about it a few times, as these sounds happened a couple of times when I was visiting. 

A couple of weeks before the baby arrival, we both witnessed a very unusual activity. We were in the baby´s room, sitting by the window talking about the weather, as it was very cold. when suddenly the door slam shut very fast. There was no draft of any kind. We both looked at each other, when one of the closet doors opened and a small ball of yellow light  flew past our heads and disapeared through the AC vent. I have never seen something like this before, nor had my friend. We both stood in silence for a good 20 seconds, when my friend turned her head to me and said "what just happened?" My face was a complete blank, I was motionless. 

The baby arived, it was a girl and she was healty and beautiful, her name is Ava. the first 4 months Ava slept in her parents bedroom in a tiny foldable crib. Once she turned 4 months she was moved to her own bedroom, which was decorated with earth tones and monkeys with pink bows. By her fourth mont of live, she was very active and moving a lot and she has always been very cheerful. 

This is where it gets really creepy. My friend told me that whenver she puts Ava to sleep or nap, she has the monitor with her, and many times she heard whispers through the monitor, like someone is in the room with the baby, but she mentioned that she was never able to make out what this voice was saying. She would constantly check on the baby and noticed that there is no one there. She told me that one time when she heard this whispers, she rushed to Ava´s bedroom and checked every corner of the room, she told me she even stayed in the room for a good 30 minutes, she tought that maybe the whispers or voices came from another apartment, and could be heard in Ava´s room; she heard nothing, but once she left the room and back in the kitchen she heard a deep scratchy voice through the monitor that said "silence now", just then Ava went completely silent, my friend´s body temperature droped, she had the worse feeling, she ran to Ava´s room and found her awake, very silent, motionless. She picked her up and searched the room, found nothing. 

That same afternoon she moved Ava´s crib to her room, she left the monitor on Ava´s room on, and when her husband came, they argued about this, he tought she was being overprotective and paranoid, he didn´t believe her, she cared less what he tought, she knew what she heard, she heard it loud and clear, she saw Ava´s reaction. 

A few days passed, I went to visit them during the day, she told me about the voice on the monitor, and how she moved the crib to her bedroom and how she was now feeling better having Ava sleeping next to her, we talked about many things, and just when I said I was leaving, I remember I was putting on my coat and getting ready to leave, my cup of tea, flew by itself across the room, we both saw it fly, none of us touched the cup, it smashed through the wall and into the floor. We both stood in silence, she looked at me and I remember I said. "I believe you, I saw what happenend", she smiled, but it was an anguish smile. I helped her clean the mess, we left the apartmet, she and Ava came with me to do some erinds and then I left them in their apartment, just before her husband arrived. 

That night they left the apartment, in the middle of the night, the three of them. I didn´t hear about it until next morning. but this is what happened: 

They were getting Ava ready for sleep, she was having her formula and the three of them were watching Baby Einstein´s Lullubay Video. She finished her bottle and my friend was burping her, everything was normal. They put her to sleep in her crib and left the bedroom door ajar. They were both sitting in the living room watching TV, she got up to go to the restroom, and right when she approached the bedroom door, the door slam shut, then she heard Ava cry very loud, she tried opening the door, but it was stuck, she screamed and called her husband, he was there in a heartbeat. They both tried to open the door, but it was really impossible, meanwhile Ava was still crying. My friend went back to the living room and got the monitor, her husband was pushing the door as hard as possible, but nothing moved, she discribed it as "if the door was sealed from inside". All of a sudden Ava sotped crying, and that petrified them both. They both heard through the monitor a voice, a very clear and scrachy voice saying "She´s gone". The husband pushed the door with all his might, and finally the door opened, Ava was on the floor, she was not moving, my friend picked her up while her husband searched the room, he found nothing. 

Ava was not breathing, my friend started rubbing her and gave her mouth to mouth, she took a quick breath and started coughing. They rushed her to the ER. She was having trouble breathing, but the next morning she was doing fine. My friend and her husband talked all night about what happened, then she told him about the cup of tea and how she always knew there was someone in that apartment, then she remembered her dream. She told him, she was not returning to that apartment, she didn´t trust her gut once, she was not going to do that again. 

They left tha hospital that day, around noon, she called me, She and Ava stayed with me, while her husband went to the apartment to look for clothes and personal things. He never told my friend what he saw when he got in, but he told me a few months after, he said he entered the apartment and saw the TV still on, as they left it, Ava´s bedroom was all wet from ceiling to floor, all the walls. When he went in the master bedroom he felt completely overwhelmed the room was freezing  cold, he got as much as possible into one big suitcase and walked out the room, he was checking the thermostat, and he noticed it was on AC 34 F., this was not how it was set, he turned it off, just before he closed the door, he took a last look and then he saw it, he saw a womans face standing in the middle of the hall, almost coming out of the master bedroom, she had a horrible grin to her face, he looked at her straight to the eyes, he then closed the door after him. It was time to sell everything...



Comments