STRANGE TOWN

I traveled through many places within Panama, Ive been searching for those magical places that this beautiful country has, and don´t get me wrong, it is beautiful, but there are also some places and communities that always make me wonder if there is something more than humans living among us.

I went to this Archipelago called San Blas, it is a beautiful place to unwind and disconnect from the information world, there is no internet access, no phone access, nothing. My first night there was amazing, beautiful beaches, amazing local food and a cozy cabin above the sea to spend the night while listening to the sweet sound of the ocean; can you picture it?



This is a great lodge with only 8 cabins, you need to get there by boat as it is not accessible by car, its quite an experience. With your package it is included a tour to the Kuna Community, where you can purchase some of their arts and crafts and is you are really up to, maybe something to eat. I was looking forward to this tour, as I thought it was a great way to get to know the culture, I got ready, dressed appropriately, camera and some cash. I was told that you should carry cash to purchase things and also because if you want to take pictures to the Community you must "tip"them.

As we approached the small piece of land where the Kuna community is, I started feeling a bit uneasy, It looked nothing to what I expected. I guess my mind thought of a joy and colourful community, with some poverty yes, but overall a different experience. I was so wrong. This place was far from colourful and not a bit joyful, it was menacing. As we got there, me and the other 7 lodge residents, we noticed we were not welcomed, we were received with some serious stares and silence. There were some children dancing in the middle of a very old play yard. We walked pass them and continued the "tour", but I noticed that most of the people in the community were not very pleased that we were there. 



We finally reached the sacred home, where the Shamans gather and some politics are discussed. We were not allowed inside this "temple" as we are not part of the community, so we just stood in front of it for a couple of minutes. I then had the most dreadful experience ever. One of the Shamans walked out of the temple, and stood behind me, I had no idea until one of the ladies in the tour grabbed my arm and pulled me towards her. I saw his face, a face I will never forget, a face covered in deep wrinkles, black hair and black eyes, but what bother me the most was the intensity of the stare, piercing, judgmental, dark and hypnotic. I immediately turned and started walking slowly toward what seamed the end of the tour, I tried to act as if nothing happened, but I guess I couldn't hide the deep horror I felt. The other tourist followed me, kind of a pack instinct, we were never apart. 

We got back to the lodge and everyone went to their bungalow to shower and change for dinner. We all met sharp for dinner and sat together, we talked for hours about our experience and impressions of the Kuna community. We started leaving the dining room one by one. I left and got into bed, book in hand. I eventually drifted without even noticing. Suddenly I opened my eyes and saw him, the shaman standing before me staring at me. I jumped out of bed in a clumsy manner and fell face down on the wooden floor. I got up as fast as I could and turned to look to where the Shaman was standing. He was gone, there was no one there, but me panting in fear. 



I searched the room, it was empty, of course it was empty, there was no way someone could get in without me noticing. I went back to bed and read a bit to keep my thoughts away from my head. I eventually fell asleep again. I woke up very early in the morning with a bad feeling. Showered, got dressed and left the cabin, headed to the dining room to get breakfast. Sure I would be the first one there. 

To my surprise, I was not, two of the tourists where there already, zipping coffee. They invited me to their table, and one of them said: Did you have a nightmare too? I was speechless, I stared at him, wondering what he meant. I guess my face was enough for im to start talking, he said he had a nightmare too, both of them in fact. they couldn't sleep anymore and woke up early to catch the sunrise. The three of us exchanged or nightmares and we decided to head back in-land and back to Panama City. For all I cared, my vacation was over. 

I went back to my Airbnb apartment in the City that night, after traveling the entire day. Took a long shower, unpacked and went to bed. I was up all night, I kept thinking on what those guys told me, their nightmares where about the same man, different situation, but equally  terrifying. I was not able to stop thinking about any of the things we said, the nightmares, and the feeling of uneasiness I got when he first arrived at the community. There was so bad vibe there, I might even say evil. There is something strange in that community, there is something uneasy and sort of unnatural going on. Such an amazing place, beautiful beaches and breathless landscapes, but now I know why this is a closed community, far away from the city, they govern themselves, the Panama government does not apply to their community. This is their territory, their sanctuary, their heritage. We are not allowed nor welcomed, and that I got clear. 



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. thank you for reading. I am currently thinking on changing platforms, as this blog is going crazy. cheers!

      Delete
  2. Hi, great story. I am part Cherokee on my moms side. Wonder if he would recognize the native in me? The usual custom among natives is to give a gift or tobacco both would be great then he has to reciprocate with a gift for you and he would give you his tobacco which you would smoke his and he would smoke yours. The women would have loved beads or fabric which they would have given you something in return. The phrase Indian Giver really means if you give an Indian something they give you something back in return. The women love it when you tell them how great their children are. Sounds like these people are very Pre- Colombian? Never show fear! Then they know they got you. These people have been depleted by diseases and rules brought by the white man, can't blame them for being distrustful. Someone should have told you protocols first. Should've treated him with respect not fear, takes a lot to be Shaman! I would have bowed a little but looked him in the eyes. Never show Fear! Then he would've had nightmares! LOL. He freaked you all out! He doesn't have any power you don't give him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo for your comments. I had a hard time reading your comments. My blog is going crazy. Welsh, thank you so much on your comment, I agree completely with you, we needed more guidance on how to treat the members of the community. I fear mostly that I somehow anger them or disrespected them and that was not the intention at all. Now I know!! thanks for reading and your advice. I am currently considering on changing platforms to Wordpress. Seriously this blog is going crazy, I was not able to read your comment or answer until today. And it`s just this post.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to read more of your stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, you can read other posts on the right menu. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy writing them. Cheers

      Delete

Post a Comment