My Bed



I lived in a nice Victorian house, for many years. This was one of those houses that look old and impressive. Me and my family lived very comfortable there, and it was a complete steal for what we payed. Some of my friends said it looked like a witch´s house, it did. Anyway, what could 13 year old know, at that age imagination is at its best. This was a big house, and we were 7, so it was just the right size. It was my Parents, my 3 siblings, my single Aunt and me. My Aunt went everywhere with us and she is a cool Aunt, plus she is 16 years younger than my Mom, so she was basically one of the kids too. 

During the period we lived in this house, many weird things happened, it was never scary, but me and my siblings knew there was something or someone in the house, and it liked playing games. Most of the time, things would appear elsewhere, we heard footsteps from time to time, yet it was never menacing. This went on for at least 3 years, and we were used to this things, plus we were so many living in the house, you never felt alone. Things changed though. My Aunt was moving out now, as she had finished College and went off to Grad School. We were all grown now, between 16 and 21 years old, I'm the youngest and the first one to notice that things were different at home, our friendly ghost, was no longer friendly. 

Things changed gradually, we noticed more activity, things were moved around or fell inexplicably, a couple of times we found the kitchen a mess; coffee spilled over the counters, refrigerator door open, food on the floor, open faucets. It was not aggressive per se, but the mood felt different, somehow darker. i remember one time, when me and my sister were home alone watching TV upstairs and suddenly we heard loud banging from the first floor, as if someone was banging two pans together. We jumped and ran downstairs to find nothing, there was nothing out of place, pans were in their cabinet. We were not hallucinating, we heard it loud and clear, and the sound came from inside the house. We said nothing to anyone. A few weeks passed and one of my brothers said that one of his shoes flew across his bedroom, at some point we were all experiencing disturbing incidents, some were more violent than others. 



The mood in our house changed, we didn't notice at first, but we were usually in a bad mood, we were not talking or spending time together, we would usually be each in our bedroom, reading, listening to music, watching TV, etc. I remember feeling irritated by my siblings and parents. None of us associated this to the happenings in our house, but now I know it had a lot to do with that. 

The drop that spilled the glass was when I had a horrible experience in my bedroom. I was doing my home work in my room. I have a queen size bed and a small desk in my room, the desk is facing a small window that looks over the back garden, this is where I get most light in my room, as it is usually dark (we had a big tree that blocked the light). I was reading, but was not able to concentrate, I felt that I was reading words that made no sense together, I felt watched, constantly turning my head towards my bed, as if there was someone there, just watching me, I felt uneasy, the air was cold and it was mid summer, there was no reason, this went on for more than a week. My bedroom was freezing, even my Mother said that it was too cold. No other room in the house was like this. 

I felt watched most of the time, I didn't want to sleep in my room, it felt eerie. One night I was lying in bed watching TV and I felt something, like someone sat next to me and leaned towards my right leg, I got a cold feeling down my spine. I froze. passed my hand through my leg and the air was cold and dense. There was something there, something I could not see. I felt horrified. I got up and went looking for my sister, she felt the cold spot too. I did not sleep there that night or the next one. One evening I went to my room to get my books and my sleepers, and for whatever reason, I sat on my bed and was looking for my earrings in a small jewelry box, and then I felt a big cold hand on my back. I turned and saw nothing as I turned back my door shut closed and my books fell to the floor. I did not move, I didn't know what to do, finally after 2 minutes that felt like 2 hours, I screamed as loud as possible, my father rushed to my room and opened the door. I was looking towards the door and saw his face when he opened the door, his eyes were wide open in surprise, I just heard him say "get up, fast, fast, move". I got up and walked towards him, he grabbed my hand and told me to go look for my sister and stayed with her. He stayed in my room. 

That night I learned what happened, when he entered the room, he saw a black face right behind me, just a floating face, "it felt bad, it had a evil vibe". That night we all went to dinner, and talked. We all had stories to share, we were all scared and decided to move out. My Mother said this things don't go away and she didn't want to take any chances. That night we slept all together, the next day we moved in with our Grandmother, until we found a place for the whole family. My parents went back to the house a couple times to get our stuff, he says that one of the movers was nauseated just being there, and my Mother says the kitchen was a mess, eggs on the floor, broken plates, one of her cook books was torn apart. 

We moved to a smaller place, I share a room with my sister. We are better this way, we are close again and spend time together. We realized that this house changed us, we were miserable, we just didn't know. My parents sold the house, the new owners didn't last long. Today it is abandoned.




Comments