Alone at the Office



I am currently working for an IT company in Panama City, I enjoy my job and my colleagues are great, but when I first got the job, the office was in a dangerous area, so I always made sure the lock on the door was on. I usually work until 6 pm. But at the beginning I was trying to catch on and learning the new responsibilities of the position. Our building was very old and our office was the last office on down the hall. The entrance was small and we had a ground level office. You had to go through the entrance door and walk down a very narrow corridor to get to our office. The ground level was wider than the other floors in the building. Our office had double height and there was no other office above us.

One day I stayed a little bit late, it was around twenty past seven, and it was dark outside. We only had one small window on the back of the office, other than that, it was completely closed. I must say that the first time I went in for the interview, I felt so uncomfortable on this space. At first I thought it was the fact that there is no natural light or ventilation, it felt very isolated. But after a couple of weeks in the job, I always felt insecure. I had a lot of anxiety in this space. This first time I stayed late, I had the feeling that someone was watching me. I was not able to concentrate, and after a while I decided to leave, as I was actually not getting things done, because of this feeling. 

I stayed late three days in a row, the job required me to, so I made sure, that when everyone left, the door was locked and the window was closed and locked. I moved my desk to the corner, just to feel protected. The first night I heard noises on the ceiling, footsteps to be more precise, and scratching sounds. I looked out the window and realized that there could not be anyone on the roof, I kept working for another 30 minutes and I could still hear footsteps. I had to leave. I was not comfortable. 

The second day, I stayed late, but it was more obvious that everyone always left at 5:30 sharp. I stayed until 6:20 and could not bear staying any longer. Sounds were loud and now I heard knocking sounds on the door. I looked through the peephole and saw no one. The third time, I was done, so I left. 

The third day was the worse. I could hear footsteps, knocking sounds on the walls and on the door, scratching sounds on the roof and walls, and after a long 10 minutes I stared on the door, I saw the handle move, as if someone were trying to open the door. My heart stopped. I could not move, in fact I didn't want to move. I still have goosebumps thinking of that moment. I felt real fear, I felt surrounded. My mouth was completely dry and my head felt so heavy. After what felt an eternity, it stopped. I got up of my chair slowly, trying to make no sound, I looked through the peephole. I saw a shadow walking away, I can not remember any details, I just remember a black figure, human figure walking towards the exit door. I panicked. At that very instant I called Jim,  a cab driver I know and he told me he could be there in 15 minutes, I told him that I thought someone was trying to break in, he told me to wait inside the office until he got there, and he would park the car and go inside the building to get me. I started packing my things quickly

I waited for 10 minutes, and heard a loud knock on the door. I looked through the peephole and it was Jim. I opened the door and locked it as fast as I could. I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I got in the cab and Jim asked me what happened, I told him. He said he saw no one when he got there. I got home and had a restless night. The next day, I arrived to the office and saw a bunch of my colleagues outside, and a police car parked right in front. I felt a hole in my stomach, my heart was pounding so fast. When I got there, I asked to one of my colleagues what was going on: she said that someone had painted with red aerosol a pentagram star and hieroglyphics, right out side our door.  The police searched our office and the rest of the building. They found nothing, non of the other offices had been vandalized. 

We moved to a different office within 10 days. After a while I heard stories of some of my colleagues, they told me they never stayed after hours, as they all felt there was something eerie going on in that particular office. Some claim they heard noises, voices, footsteps, scratching, squeaking floors, knocking sounds, whispers, and the list goes on. We all agreed that something evil happened in that place. 





Comments