HOLLOW EYES

Every day I go out in a hurry, I'm always late for work, this is one of the things that I need to change, I know that. Every Sunday I set my alarm 10 minutes early in order to make it on time, but somehow I end up leaving late. 

Today is no different. I rush out of home, lock the door and run down the stairs (I live on the second floor, and the elevator is on the 20th). I open the door to the parking lot and run towards my car. While looking for my keys in my purse, I notice that there is a human figure near me, maybe another neighbour, but I pay no attention to that. I AM LATE. 

I get inside the car, throw my things to the passenger sit and turn the car on, adjust my mirror and off I go. I advance slowly, because I remember seen someone before, I don't want to run over this poor guy. He must think I am a maniac as it is. I advance slowly and I see him standing in front of a white and blue van, just standing there. this seems awkward, but I don't have time to investigate. 

As I approach him, I start to feel anxious, he is like 5 ft from me, and I can tell he has a weird looking face. I immediately felt horrible for thinking this, you never know what people go through, and here I am,  judging by his looks. 

I pass right in front of him and smile, I like to be a friendly neighbour; I can see his face now, , a little bit deformed, but his eyes, his eyes are hollow. Pitch black HOLLOW. HIs face looks menacing. He is looking straight at me with his hollow eyes, and then I notice a hint of a smile in his face, not a friendly one; I have this feeling he is trying to intimidate me.  My heart is beating so hard, pounding on my chest. I cannot take my eyes off of him, but my protective instinct tells me to move faster.  I rush out of the building and head to work. My mind is numb in fear. I cannot believe what my eyes just saw, but how can I be wrong. I saw him, I really saw him. Who is this guy?




As I drive to work I keep thinking, maybe it was a prank or my head  is playing tricks. I have never been the kind of person who imagines crazy things, but you never know what your head can do when your stress levels are so high, and lately, my stress levels are through  the roof. 

After 15 minutes I make it to work, park my car on the usual spot, I take a quick look around me, I am all alone in the parking lot, the only one late. I get out finally and walk towards my office building, I am actually running Im not gonna lie to you, I am so scared. I get in the building and into the lobby, I am waiting for the elevator; there is nothing strange here, and yet I feel so uneasy, I feel watched. As I wait I keep looking around, I can't see a single soul, just me: late to work. 

I get into the elevator, the door opens on the seventh floor, I walk out. Everything seems as usual, I walk past all my peers saying "Hi", and finally sit on my cubicle to start my day. 

The day went by as usual, nothing strange, nothing out of the norm. Its time to go home, my usual routine, driving back home but first I stop for a smoothie. I´ve forgotten all about the man in the parking lot, until I drive in. I am driving slowly to make sure there is no one there, and in fact, there is no one there, nothing strange, no shadows, no noise, nothing. I walk towards the glass doors and inside the building. This time I decide to wait for the elevator, my feet are killing me. After not more than a minute, the elevator doors open, I get in and see HIS face staring at me through the glass doors of the parking lot, his hollow eyes piercing my heart. I gasped with horror. The elevator doors closed and I panick. 

As the elevator goes up, I feel this rush of horror. I am so afraid to get out of the elevator, what if he is waiting for me on the second floor? But then again, what can I do? What are my options? staying in the elevator won't help. 

The doors opened and I step out of the elevator, search the hall; its empty. I take another step and the elevator doors close behind me, my head is spinning. I run towards my apartment door, key in hand and open as fast as I can, get inside, everything is dark, but I feel safe, close the door in a quick motion and walk towards the light switch. 

I just heard him clear his throat. 


This is a dream I keep having, It comes to me at night, stealing my breath and my sleep.













Comments