SLEEPLESS NIGHTS

There are some nights where you go to bed and in just a couple of minutes fall asleep and stay in a nice relaxing sleep for the entire night. But then, there are some nights where you struggle with your body and mind to fall asleep. Your body feels uncomfortable, your mind keeps thinking and overthinking and sometimes you are hot or cold and can't find a way to sleep under that condition.
And sometimes you can't sleep because you are being teased by something you can't see.

This is the story of my friend Janet, who authorised me to write about it and share it to you.

Janet had been working a lot that week and the previous weeks, so it was nice that Friday had finally come and work would slow down a little bit for the rest of the month. She lives by herself in a small apartment in Boston, very close to the Theatre District. She went to bed early that night, hoping to have a well deserved rest, but before going to bed she took a quick shower and had a light meal; cheese and grapes and a small glass of apple juice. 

She went to bed, read a little bit and after a few minutes felt her eyes so heavy she knew it was time to turn of her light and go to sleep. She closed her eyes and was starting to fall asleep, when she felt a cold breeze in her face. It was quite strange, she opened her eyes and saw nothing. She closed her eyes again, dismissing the breeze and falling instantly in a nice warm sleep, or so she thought. A few minutes passed by and she woke up by herself, feeling a little uneasy and with no explanation on what exactly she felt, but it was not good. She looked around her dark room and saw nothing, she then sat on her bed thinking that maybe she was just having a bad dream and the uneasiness of her dream woke her up. She lied down again and just before closing her eyes again, she heard her bedroom door opening slowly, she opened her eyes and actually saw the door opening in a very slow motion. 

Janet stared to the door without blinking, waiting for something to happen. Nothing happened, the door was just open and that was all. She turned on her bed lamp and got out of bed, and walked towards the door as she approached the door, it shut close in a violent motion. She stood there for what seemed like an eternity and finally opened the door, there was no one there, she turned the light that led to the hall and walked slowly, expecting to see someone or something, but she finally made it to her living room and searched the entire apartment, to find nothing. She walked back to her room, closed the door behind her and walked towards her bed, and then she blacked out.



She woke up the next morning around 5 a.m. and found herself in her bed, bedroom door closed and everything on its place, however she knew she had fainted, she remembered falling to the floor, and she had a terrible headache. How can she remember falling on the floor and next thing she wakes in her bed like nothing happened? She got up her bed and walked towards the door, she looked out the window, it was still dark outside, but everything in the apartment was the way she left it the previous day, everything in its place, front door locked. She sat on her couch facing her TV and stared for a few minutes, her head was not the only thing in pain, her wrists were in pain as well, and she had this bitter taste in her mouth. 

She went back to her room, got into bed and stood there until the sun shined on her face. She had no sleep. She decided to call her sister Dana and tell her about her crazy dream, and so she did. Dana, told her she should go to the doctor and make sure everything is alright, its not normal to black out and wake up the next morning in a different position, its not normal to faint and not remember how you got to your bed. Dana made Janet promise that she would get medial aid. She promised. 

A couple of days went by and Janet's wrists showed a slight purple colour, like bruises. Still she could't remember why or how she injured her wrists. That bitter taste in her mouth was still there, no matter how many times she brushed her teeth. She then decided to pay the Doctor a visit. She got an MRI and a thorough check up. The doctor was not able to find anything wrong, but recommended to rest for a couple of days. Maybe stress was the culprit of this episode, she also asked Janet to keep a journal to document headaches, bitter taste, and other affections.

Janet also decided to instal 2 cameras inside her apartment, one in the living room and one pointing at her bedroom door. 

I remember she called me when she got out the Doctors appointment and asked me to meet her for dinner at her house. She sounded suspicious and I immediately agreed. 

We met and talked all night, she told me everything she remembered and then she confessed she had been thinking or maybe imagining things that might sound crazy, but she told me anyway. She said she had remembered a couple of things, she said someone dragged her by the wrists, she can't remember where she was dragged to or who it was. She also mentioned she remembers being sitting at a table (not her dining table or her house) and someone was force feeding her something very disgusting. Thats is all she remembers. She never mentioned this to anyone, as for sure everyone would think that it was just a dream. She also thought it was a dream but started having second thoughts as she did have bruises on her wrists and her mouth still had that weird taste. That night we came to the conclusion that it might have been something else and she needed to keep her mind open and try to remember anything that could help us figure out what happened that night.

A few weeks went by and she remembered a couple of things, but nothing relevant. She remembers feeling dizzy and very sleepy while they were feeding her that strange thing, she remembered that the bowl was blue and she remembered whispers in some kind of dialect. Though these clues were good, it took us nowhere. Cameras showed nothing abnormal. After a couple of months we kind of forgot everything about this experience and went back to our regular routines. I must say, at one point I started thinking she may have dreamed all of it, she did too.



Just before Christmas we met for dinner, she was going to visit her family in Vermont for the Holidays, so we had an early Christmas dinner. We had a great time, and just before leaving I asked if she had remembered anything about that night. - Nothing, not a single thing - I hugged her and she gave me a copy of her keys, as I promised to water her plants once a week until her return. I left that night and got a strange feeling, I felt like she was not telling me something. I didn't want to push so I went to bed and forgot the whole thing

As promised I went by her place on the 23rd and water her plants. I walked through her apartment just to make sure everything was in order. It was. I was about to leave, when I remembered about the cameras. I doubted at first, but finally went back in and looked up the ceiling, the camera on the living room was still there, so did the one in her bedroom. I doubted but check her computer to see if the cameras were still recording, they were. I then saw a folder saved as "WTF". I opened it and found 4 videos saved. Saw the first one and there it was: there was a strange figure standing by her door in the middle of the night, I could not see the date saved anywhere, but it looked recent. The second video showed a dark shadow by her bed and a couple of lights (one green, one red) moving around her head while she is sleeping. I was not able to open the other two videos, they were locked with a password. I left home very puzzled that day. I knew she saw those videos, she saved them. Yet she never told me about them.

After 3 days, I decided to call her. She is my close friend and I wanted to know why she never mentioned the videos. I was honest to her and told her I had checked her cameras to see if they were still working, wondering if while she was gone everything was OK. She stood in silence for a moment and then told me she found something, but was afraid it could do something to me, as she does not understand what is going on. She gave me the password to watch the two remaining videos, we agreed to meet once she came back from her holiday vacation.

The next day, I went back to her apartment to watch the videos. I looked for them an the entire folder was gone. I searched the apartment and found nothing or no one. Went home and called immediately. I told her the folder was gone and she was in shock. We met 4 days later, and she told me what was in those videos. She said there is a strange man, who walks into her bedroom while she is sleeping, and then performs some kind of check up and in a matter of seconds is just gone. The video shows just bits of this, as there is so much interference when this happens, but she said she can remember being moved and pocked by someone. She kept it to herself, because she is afraid it might happen something to me, plus she has not been able to make out what is going on or who this man is. She thinks it is not a man at all. 



Comments