Menacing Silence


This is a very close friend's story....

I lived in the very same house for more than two decades, it's the place where I spent most of my teenage years and part of my adult life. I moved away for three years during my twenties, and after a bad divorce, I went back to my old home to live with my mother, as my father passed away during the same period I was finalizing my divorce. It was a sad period for both of us, so it just made sense to stick together. 

We would usually stay up late talking, or watching TV. We talked so much, as it was the best therapy. We soon started working on our house, it was our project and we decided to paint it, fix the kitchen cabinets and re-furnish the living room, as it had been a while since the last time my parents got that hideous flower print couch. My Mom re-decorated her bedroom and changed her bed. She loved my father, but she was not comfortable sleeping in the same bed, where she slept with him. It was all about energy, and how to make it happier, or so we thought. 

After a good 3 and a half weeks, our project was done! We were so excited about the outcome or our hard work (we had never in our lives done something similar). For a few days it was so enjoyable to spend time at the house, we invited friends and family often to check out our new remodeled home. I will never forget the day my fiend Millie came to visit, she is one of my closest friends, and she moved out of the city (Boston) due to her husbands job, they got relocated to Philly and so she some times took the train to visit family and friends. This was one of this visits and it happened to be almost a month after we did all the remodeling. 

Millie is one of those happy souls, she has always been so positive and loving. She is the kind of friend that will always make you smile, no matter how dark your days may go. I admire her personality and I wish I was more like her. I was excited to see her, and she came with her two adorable daughters that are just as happy and loving as she is. Nina, who at that time was 5 and Katie, who was almost 2 years by then. We sat on the living room and had some coffee and the girls were happy playing with a tea set they brought from home. We spent maybe four hours catching up and playing with the girls. She left that day around 8 o'clock. 

That very same evening, I was fixing something to eat for my Mom and I, when I get a call, it was almost 9:30, and when I picked up, it was Millie, it surprised me, but we talked for a couple of minutes and then she said the weirdest thing, she told me that Nina said that a boy at my house growled at her, he was standing on the threshold of my bedroom door and looking over the hall, so she asked her mother, who the boy was. It caught Millie by surprise as she saw no boy, and she knew I had no children, but she decided to call me just to check. I told her there are no children here, and I don't think any of my neighbors have children either, so maybe she was playing or something. We hung up the phone and each went back to their lives. 

A few days passed and a neighbor came to visit, she came to bring my mother a pie, as they had been friends for a long time. She didn't come in to the house, she said she was in a rush and just passed by to bring the pie, as I was closing the door, she said "by the way, you have a good looking little one, congratulations", I didn't understand what she meant, but didn't ask her. I closed the door, left the pie at the kitchen counter and sat on one of the chairs in the living room trying to understand what this lady just said. I was puzzled. What little one, what is she talking about. That night I told my Mom about the pie and what this lady said, she suggested that maybe she was confusing me with my sister, who had a daughter, so that is that and we talked about it no more. 

One Saturday, I had been working on the garden and when I was done, I went into the house, took a shower and decided to take a nap. I went to my room, laid on my bed on top of the covers and closed my eyes. I was trying to sleep, but something was different, it was somehow too silent. My Mom was not at home, she was out and it was only the two of us living in that house, I know that silence is expected, but it felt eerie, this kind of silence that makes you nervous. I looked around, and everything was fine, everything in place. I closed my eyes again and could not keep them shut, I felt scared. I got up, checked on every door to make sure they were locked, checked on the closets, under the bed, I found nothing, yet something was wrong. I've been alone in this house many other times, I'm not afraid and I don't imagine things, but this time, the environment didn't feel good. I went into my room, locked the door form inside, closed the blinds and went back to bed, I was forcing myself to sleep, after maybe 40 minutes, I finally fell asleep. I probably slept for 10 minutes, when I woke up, just like that, and when I opened my eyes I saw my door wide open. I jumped and I am pretty sure a loud gasp came out of my mouth. 

I got up quickly and before going out of my room, I called my Mom, as loud as I could, there was no answer. I approached the door and looked through the hall towards the living room, and saw nothing, I then turned my head to the other side of the hall towards my Mom's room, and saw a hand, as if someone was in my Mom's bedroom and had their hand holding the door. I called my Mom again, and got no response, but the hand disappeared. I was really scared, not only because of this hand, but the silence in the house was very unsettling. After a few seconds, I walked towards my Mom's bedroom to take a look, and as I approached her door, my bedroom door slammed closed very hard. I was left standing in the middle of the hall, looking on both directions, trying to figure out what to do. So I went to my mother's room firs, and saw nothing, I searched in her bathroom and nothing. I went back to my room and opened the door in a fast motion, I was pissed now. And then I saw him, a small boy standing outside my bedroom, watching through my window. My heart stopped, I am sure of that, I closed the blinds, and now they were open and there was a boy there staring at me from outside of the house. 

I hesitated a few seconds, then rushed outside to confront him. Of course, when I went outside, there was no one outside and I couldn't see any movement through my neighbors backyard. That made no sense. I stayed outside for at least an hour, before coming in again. That eerie silence was gone, the environment felt normal again. I told my Mom about it that very night, and she didn't believe me. She didn't say it to my face, but she just dismissed me and changed the subject. 

After that time, I have felt his presence many other times, I can tell by the silence, it always starts like that. The environment changes, the air feels heavy and there is no sound, nothing. I don't know who this boy is, or what is he doing at my home, I've tried talking to him, but he never communicates. 

I don't know if we moved something while renovating our home, but this is more or less the time he started coming. My Mom has never seen or felt anything. I never bring the subject to the table, as I know what she thinks about this. I know a fiend of hers, asked about the boy by the window, she just said "don't you start with this too".






Comments