Open Door




I currently live in a small apartment right outside of Houston, I moved a few years ago and so far things are going smooth. I must say, it was not always smooth. My first apartment in the area was a very cozy and small place, in a wooded area. I felt at home immediately. As I am single and love nature and most of all, love spending my time alone. I enjoy camping and often take my weekends to explore the area. I am a big guy, I can take care of myself. 

My new place as I said, was near a wooded area, and so the second I moved in I went for a walk to recognize the area and look for good camping spots. As I walked through the woods, I found many interesting spots, it seemed that I was not the only one who enjoyed camping, I found a couple bonfire ashes, a few feet away I found a small pond. This place was beautiful, so peaceful. I sat there for a good 30 minutes, and then headed back. As I walked back I found a small cabin, it looked really old and abandoned, I approached the place and looked through the windows. It was completely empty, but there was just one chair, right next to a small closed door. It was not possible to see anything else, but it looked like a great place, near the pond, and very secluded. I immediately got the idea of finding out who owned that place, this would be a great place to have as hunting hut. I took a few pictures and went back home. 

I asked the realtor who found the apartment in which I was currently living, and she said she knew nothing about this place, but she could ask her colleagues to find out more on this property. They found nothing. So I went back to take a better look. I looked inside again and now the little door was open, so I knocked on the front door, but there was no answer. I stayed there a couple hours, but no one came. But now I know that someone comes to the property once in a while, so I left a note under the door that said "If you are interested on selling this place, give me a call XXXXXXX" and left. A few weeks passed, and still no call, I went back a couple of times to see if maybe I had luck and bumped into the owner. But nothing. What is strange though, is that the little door was sometimes open and sometimes closed, the chair never moved, but it is too dark to see what it is inside the door. I always imagined a deep closet. 

After having no response for a couple of months, I just left the topic behind and did not go back, for maybe 3 months, until one day, I was getting ready for work, and as I went by my front door, I saw a small piece of paper, under the door, I went there and picked it up, and it was my note, the one I left at the cabin almost 5 months ago "If you are interested on selling this place, give me a call XXXXXXX". This came is as a surprise and not a good one. I immediately looked through the peephole, but no one was there. But who ever owned the cabin, knew where I lived, so this means I was followed, and he/she took the time to creep me out 3 months later. I looked out the windows from my apartment, to check if maybe I could see someone suspicious, but nothing looked out of order, I could see nothing. I left for work and the whole day I felt paranoid, looking around, paying attention. Nothing happened, 3 or 4 weeks went by and then again, I received a note under the door, it was actually not a note, but just a piece of paper with blood stains, it was upside down, so when I grabbed it, and turned over I just panicked. This was creepy, someone was taking the time to do this. I should have called the police, instead I decided to put a security camera outside my front door with a security light, one of those lights that light when they sense movement. 

I became obsessed, I would go to work, and spent the entire day checking on my apartment. I had one of those cameras that you can monitor through the internet. I would go back home and spend the entire evening watching the videos. Nothing strange, no one suspicious, only neighbors going by. Another 2 months went by, and nothing happened, I thought this person saw the camera and just stopped spying on me. During Christmas I had a few family members over, my sister and brother in law with their toddler son and my aunt, all staying at my place, so there was stuff everywhere and lots of noise. I still had the camera on security lights outside the apartment. On December 27, I left for work, and my family was still at my apartment, as I walked towards my car, I saw there was something on the windshield, I approached it carefully and looked around to check if someone was looking. There was no one out there. I finally got closer to see a dead craw with a note that said "for the little one, happy Xmas". I went back into the apartment and locked the doors, called the police and asked my sister if she had seen anyone suspicious during the days they had been there, she said nothing was weird or suspicious. 

When the police arrived, I showed them the dead bird and the note, and the bloody piece of paper and the note I wrote and left on the cabin. I told the whole story to them, so now they were interested on knowing where this cabin was. We drove through the woods, and then we walked, as the cabin was not accessible by car. When we got there, the door was open, and there was some blood on the front steps. I froze. One of the police officers called for a back up car and and both of them had their guns pointed to the cabin, they were looking around. One of them went in slowly, there was a terrible smell coming out, so he stepped out of the cabin and said that he thought something was dead inside. 

I stood there, until the second police car came, and a truck. Then they asked me to stay inside one of the cars, and wait there. They finally went in and found two dead bodies in advance rotten state inside the little door. I was then taken to the station to get my statement. Turns out that the blood on the piece of paper belonged to one of the victims, a 27 year old female, that was reported missing almost a year ago. The second body has not been recognized, nor it belongs to a missing person. I had a hard time dealing with this, I was a suspect on the case at the beginning, they thought it was suspicious that I never reported the other two messages back to the police. I now know this was a stupid choice. 

After a few months, I moved out. Never went back to my old place or the wooded area, and must certainly, never went back to the cabin. I only knew when they found the culprit. It was a middle aged man, who was on parole for another two deaths, both female. I never knew if they found out who the other body belonged to, but I always wondered, what he wanted of me. I did not fill the profile to be his prey. Sometimes I wonder if this guy, was the one who sent those notes, or maybe it was someone else...






Comments