Whistle



I have been living by myself for a few years now. I am loving it now, but at the beginning things were not so smooth. My first apartment was not on a very nice area in the city, but it was a nice apartment, as it was recently remodeled and it was a nice space for the price. At first I thought it was a bargain, after some time, I understood why it was so cheap. This place was damaged, just the wrong vibe. 

My first night there was OK, I was completely exhausted. The next morning a couple of things were out of place, but I did not pay much attention, things were messy and I had just moved. Made my bed, had a small glass of milk, cleaned the kitchen and left for work, I returned late that night. I entered the apartment and went straight to my bedroom, turned on the light and my bed was undone, some shoes out of place. Nothing crazy, but I was sure I had made my bed, this is a habit I have since I am 5 years old. I made the bed again, thinking that maybe I just forgot. Went out to the kitchen and everything was in place. Watched some TV and fell asleep. 

A few weeks went by, and I would constantly find things out of order, nothing major, but after a while I was feeling uncomfortable, At first I thought that maybe my landlord was checking on me, I know she had a few bad experiences with other tenants, but anyway, I was ready to confront her. She lived in the same building, so I just went and knocked on her door. She was very nice and polite, she asked me if everything was fine and then I told her, that I thought someone was going through my stuff and some things are out of place, but there was no forced entry, so maybe it is someone who has a key. I didn't want to accuse her right away, but wanted to see her reaction. She was not surprised, I could not make out what she was thinking, but I could tell she was uneasy. She suggested I should get another lock for the door, and not to share the key with anyone, and so I did the very next day. 

Things were the same and even worse. Every day I came back  things were not only out of place, but now I would find spilled milk, broken eggs, picture frames on the floor. Nothing missing. I felt so annoyed, so tired of dealing with this, but there was no way I could move out, financially I was just barely making it. I would lock my self in my bedroom at night, having a lot of trouble sleeping, I was in a bad mood all the time and I would cry easily. My mood changed drastically. I felt unhappy. I was tired most of the time. 

One of my friends asked me if I could take care of her dog during the weekend, as she had a trip planned and could not take the dog. It was a small dog, one of those white furry dogs. I was not sure at first, but then I thought it might be good company given the circumstances. My friend went by my house on Friday night and left the dog. So I took the dog and went to my bedroom, I was watching TV, and the dog was pacing through my bedroom, very uneasy, after a few minutes, he started growling towards the door, he was acting strange, I opened the door and he started barking. I then heard a whistle, the dog heard it too, he reacted and moved his head to the sides, we were both staring to the hall. I was in complete panic, the dog was so uneasy and took a few steps back, he was growling but you can tell he was scared, and then another whistle, so clear, so loud, it was coming from inside the apartment, just a few inches from us. I could not see anything. The light on my room was not enough to light the hallway, and I was not willing to walk all the way to the entrance to turn on the light. I felt completely horrified. I locked myself in my room and pushed a small drawer to the door. There was a lot of noise outside, I heard things falling, tapping on the walls and doors, scratches on the door. I was terrified and the dog was too. I called one of my friends and my parents, I felt so alone. I did not know what to to, I didn't want to sound stupid, but how was I going to explain all this. I know I was alone, its not a robber, this is not human or natural, this is something else. How am I going to explain this? I decided to stay in my room till the next day. I had no sleep. the noises went on the rest of the night. 

I left the very next day, I just woke up and went to one of my friends house and asked for help. I told her everything, She was living with her boyfriend at that time, they took me in. I didn't care if I had to sleep on the bathroom floor, I just was not able to return to my apartment, that was not an option. I never went back, my friend and her boyfriend went for my things, (I didn't have much, but my bed and a few items and my clothes) I met with the owner a week later, not in the building, but she agreed to meet me at a near coffee shop. I told her what happened and that I could not keep living in that place, I was too scared and too tired. She was not surprised, she even gave my deposit back, never saw her again. Now that I think about it, I remember feeling bullied, so scared and my energy was completely drained. I never knew what happened in that place. 

Comments